2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

replacing vacuum switch on transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 03:04 PM
fred96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default replacing vacuum switch on transfer case

my 4x4 no longer works on my 96 blazer and im pretty sure its a faulty vacuum switch.

the problem is i cant find the location of the switch to save my life. i know it is supposed to be located on the top of the transfer case but theres no way to even get my hand up there. and i cannot see it when i look for it. can someone please tell me how i can replace this and how to get to it.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: replacing vacuum switch on transfer case

i am not positive, and there are a few guys on here that know much better than me, but i am pretty sure you will have to drop the t-case in order to replace the switch, if you cant even get your hand on it or see it it will be almost impossible to replace.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:15 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Near the center of the transfer case on the passenger side, look up toward the top and the switch is there. You just have to follow the vacuum hoses. There will be three vacuum hoses going into one connector and attatched to the switch. iirc the switch is 7/8" and there isn't a lot of room. Patience and a short open end wrench do the job.
Note that there is a locating tab for the position of the vacuum connector to the switch.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:18 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

All good info, except it is on the driver's side (right above the encoder motor) and you can use a standard long wrench (7/8") DO NOT drop the t-case to change this.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:31 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

And if you need pics, let us know.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:51 AM

thanks guys

if i do end up replacing this soon this will definately help out

Old 06-06-2007, 05:09 PM

does it matter which hoses go to which of the three prongs or should i mark them or somthing?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:12 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it matters! That's why the manifold is indexed, there is a vacuum supply, a switched vacuum, and a vent. They all have to be in the right spot. There is a MANIFOLD though, so you shouldn't even be messing with individual hoses, they arefixed to the manifold, and won't come off unless you really try. Just disconnect the manifold, swap the switch, and plug the manifold back into the new switch. You just need to make sure you line up the little locating tab on the switch with the 4th hole in the manifold.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe

Yes it matters! That's why the manifold is indexed, there is a vacuum supply, a switched vacuum, and a vent. They all have to be in the right spot. There is a MANIFOLD though, so you shouldn't even be messing with individual hoses, they arefixed to the manifold, and won't come off unless you really try. Just disconnect the manifold, swap the switch, and plug the manifold back into the new switch. You just need to make sure you line up the little locating tab on the switch with the 4th hole in the manifold.
if placed in the wrong position will it mess somthing up? i have just finished replacing the switch, and my 4x4 still does not work, could i have placed the hoses in the wrong position and this caused my actuator to not actuate

Old 06-07-2007, 06:36 PM

bump, please help ive dropped so much money into parts to get my 4x4 working and it still doesnt work i dont know what to do anymore. ive replaced the actuator and the switch. and i know that if i engage the actuator cable by hand and zip tie it while its engaged the 4x4 works so its not anything mechanical its gotta be within the vacuum system.

Quick Reply: replacing vacuum switch on transfer case